This recipe was sent to me via e-mail from Viv on December 25, 2008. This cookie is a cornerstone of the trays that my mom would make and distribute during the holidays. Cookies come and cookies go. Even chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookes sometimes got left out, but there were always cream chese cookies to be had. Flycogen 01:27, August 22, 2011 (UTC)
Makes 5 Dozen Cookies!
- 1 cup butter or margerine, softened
- 1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup red jelly or jam
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until fluffy
- Gradually blend in sugar
- Stir together flour and salt then stir into creamed mixture
- Cover and chill dough for several hours or overnight
- Divide dough into thirds
- On a lightly floured suface, roll each portion onto a 12 1/2 x 10 inch rectangle
- Cut with a fluted pastry wheel into 2 1/2 inch squares, dot with jelly in the center and pinch together diagonal corners to seal (we always used a scalloped round cookie cutter)
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 until firm but not brown, about 12 minutes.
- If desired, sift additional powdered sugar over slightly warm pastries